Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Poetry & Planting

I have been busy for the past weeks preparing for my first Poetry Society Conference.
It was held this past weekend and was almost as intimidating as the first time I walked into the police academy. There I was, among many scholars and some of best poets in Virginia. But within minutes I felt my apprehensions disappear and went on to have a wonderful day. I had no intentions of reading but just at the end I guess I felt the need to put my mark on the day, good or bad. So I read "Mother at War." It was very well received and I humbly accepted their positive feedback...(then got in my car and did a happy, happy, joy, joy!!!)

So these past weeks I have also been shopping the internet - looking for garlic!!
My source, the Southern Seed Exchange which is right here in Va. My purchase arrived
in a couple days, the garlic bulbs looked great,and are in the gound. This year I planted them in a bed that is very rich with organic compost. I'm hoping their bulbs will develop better than last years. I also got onions in but I am still hoping to come across Texas Sweets in the spring. They were great!! My yellow onions I harvested this summer are still keeping well. I have about 2 dz. left. My flower beds have been trimmed (an idea to cut away the stink bug's eggs)I did transplant a group of daylillies...making a sweep across the end of the driveway with them and anchoring each end with some dark pink knock out roses - we'll see how they perform.

Next week, the LAWN!! aerate, lime, seed, & winter fertilize!

No comments:

Post a Comment