Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cooling Off to October Days

Going into October is messing a mixture of old & new. Saying goodbye to those summer
perennials! They all performed and served me so well throughout the intense heat all
summer right through Sept. Now the pumpkins are coming out and the Mums & Asters sit in front of porch steps & driveways. I am venturing out to pkup a few this morning, knowing that they will most likely need replacing by the Octoberfest on the 17th. Time to get my harvest knick-knacks (bric & brac haha) up from the basement! I do believe I enjoy fall decorating as much or more so than Christmas. I try to keep
things easy & natural, but a splash of fall color in any room just makes it very festive! Whatever I use stays right up through Thanksgiving..
A trip at the garden yesterday after the torential rains of Wed/THur. brought
a nice surprise. The big leaves of the yellow bush beans protected the beans quite well from getting water logged. I was able to pick a big basket full. I also have a big bag of hot cayenne peppers for Carol next door. The cabbage took the 10" of
water well but the lettuce did not. I still have a couple lettuce pks left and may try one more time to get a harvest before it gets too cold. As for the battle of the stink bug, that continues, and is a whole other story perhaps!!
All i can say is if you don't have them yet!...YOU WILL~~

No comments:

Post a Comment